July 27, 2006

You Gotta Read It!

I just finished reading Robinson Crusoe and it is now one of my three favorite books ever. If you haven't read it, you must do so. It is relatively short and does not take much time to get through, but the story is engaging, the themes deep and important, and the evolution of the character very intriguing.

I read on the internet that Daniel Defoe wrote a couple sequals to Crusoe, but that they were never as popular as the original. Some day I may check these out, but right now I have my hands full with another spectacular book...

I am now reading Journey to the Center of the Earth and am liking it a ton! The first thing that struck me was how funny it is! Sarcasm and dry humor abound! I listened to an unabridged audio book of Verne's The Time Machine which was very interesting, but not funny like Journey, so I was kind of suprised by Journey. I am only on the seventh chapter, where the Professor and Harry have just reached Iceland and are preparing to enter the dormant volcanoe and begin their long, downward journey. I can't wait to keep reading!

Next Friday, I leave with a friend and my dad to southern Colorado to meet up with some of my uncles for a week long backpacking trip up Blanca Mountain. I cannot wait to get going on this trip - it is tons of fun! Plus, it is the only chance I get to smoke a good cigar every once in a while.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha your a blogger too... thats funny

Matt Tully said...

I was first. :)

Anonymous said...

I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»